The awards ceremony extended beyond singers and songwriters to include journalists, producers, presenters, and stylists.
Glitz, glamour, and luxury were what the first annual Basadi in Music Awards (Bima) promised and certainly did not disappoint.
The Gallagher Convention Centre was host to the first award ceremony dedicated exclusively to women in music, complemented by a red carpet of ballgowns, tiaras, suits, and sneakers on October 15.
The awards extended beyond singers and songwriters to include journalists, producers, presenters and stylists and was hosted by musicians Anele Zondo and Nomuzi ‘Moozlie’ Mabena.
Locals and fans did not only rub shoulders with their favourite women in music but got treated to breathtaking performances and magnificent stage appearances.
Among the performers were rappers Fifi Cooper, Nadia Nakai, Busiswa, KB Motsilanyane and Rethabile Khumalo, gospel singers Mmatema and Bathabile Skhosana while Limpopo’s finest, Makhadzi closed the prestigious ceremony with her fascinating performance.
South Africa’s musical legends Abigail Kubeka and Yvonne Chaka Chaka were also honoured with Sampra Lifetime awards.
The awards were founded by entertainment entrepreneur and public relations professional Hloni Modise-Matau, and are designed to honour and celebrate women in music.
“It was a phenomenal evening of women celebrating the contribution that has been made by other women. We are proud of our hosts Moozlie and Ney the Bae who were fantastic on stage… Tshiamo and Mandz who were on the red carpet and backstage duty respectively sizzled.
“We are also honoured to have presented awards to all our recipients tonight and of course, we are so grateful to the performers and guest presenters who brought magic to the inaugural Bima stage. It was truly an extraordinary experience and we are looking forward to starting planning Bima 2,” said Modise.
Here is a list of all winners:
- Artist of the year: Makhadzi
- Sampra artist of the year: Boohle
- Kaya959 Afropop artist of the year: Phumla Music
- Sofn’Free Dance artist of the year: Lizwi
- Gospel artist of the year: Bathabile Skhosana
- Newcomer of the year: Ntomza
- Rap/Hip Hop artist of the year: Gigi Lamayne
- Samro songwriter of the year:Skye Wanda
- Traditional artist of the year: Basetsana Ba Setso
- Pop artist of the year: Holly Rey
- AC Wines Jazz artist of the year: Zodwa Mabena
- DJ of the year: Lamiez Holworthy
- Social Media influencer of the year: Khanyisa Patricia
- Entertainment Radio producer of the year: Prudence Mathebula – The Midday Link Up
- Entertainment Radio presenter of the year: Lerato Kganyago – The Midday Link up
- Music TV show presenter: Lamiez Holworthy – Live Amp
- Entertainment journalist of the year: Amanda Maliba – Sowetan
- Song of the year: Pabi Cooper – Banyana ke Bafana
- Stylist of the year: Boitumelo Katali
- CEO’s Mosadi In Business achievement award: Dineo Ranaka
- Joburg Tourism Company Humanitarian award: Cynthia Dinalane
- SAMPRA highest airplay: Shekhinah
- CAPPASSO most streamed song: Nomcebo Zikode – Xola Moya Wami
- CEO Trailblazer award: Zanele Mbokazi
- Lifetime achievement award: Yvonne Chaka Chaka and Abigail Kubeka.