Melkkos is a traditional South African dish made with five basic ingredients and flavoured with cinnamon sugar.
Melkkos is the perfect comfort food on cold winter days. Chef Werner shares an easy five-ingredient recipe for you to use.
- 1.5 Litre milk
- 90g Cake flour
- A Pinch of salt
- 3 Tablespoons of butter (it must be room temperature)
- Mix 100g sugar with ground cinnamon to taste and keep aside.
- Rub the flour and salt into the butter with your hands until fine crumbs form.
- Heat the milk in a large pot.
- Add the flour mixture to the milk and bring to a boil, stirring frequently using a whisk until the mixture thickens. The mixture will have small lumps.
- Dish the Melkkos and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over.
Note from the chef:
If you want to add an interesting twist to your Melkkos, you can add a cinnamon stick to the milk, removing it before you add the flour mixture.