- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 6-8 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or stock)
- 1 can (420 g) diced tomatoes, drained*
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cans white beans (cannellini beans), drained and rinsed*
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (for serving)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1) In a large pot or saucepan, heat olive over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant (about 2-3 minutes), while stirring occasionally. Add the broth, tomatoes, sugar, Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
2)Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes to combine all the flavours together.
3)Stir in the beans and spinach. Simmer gently until the spinach has wilted (about 2 minutes).
4)Take off the heat. Stir through the parmesan cheese. Taste test, adjust salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately.